I think I’ve pretty much finished this round of site design updates.
The key things I added/changed:
- The overall theme: the main text block is now “flexible” in size, and that was the main thing I wanted. The theme I picked, the Ensellitis theme by Chris Ensell, was just about perfect. I made some very minor changes, altering a few elements of the left block and link colours and such. I don’t know why there aren’t more of these “free flow” templates- how many website visitors come to a site at 800×600? And frankly, my posts are too dang long to look “right” when scrunched down to 40 characters wide or so
- I’ve added a “most recent comments” section at the left
- I updated my banner image, adding a picture of Sadie in the process
- and finally, I added a simple visitor stats block courtesy of Joe Cheung
Netting it out, I think its an improvement. I still have a bit of cleaning up to do. UPDATE: oops, forgot my Google News and Slashdot feeds….fixed
Thanks to Chris Ensell at Ensellitis and Joe Cheung for allowing folks like me to benefit from their work!
Another update: wrapped my header image with a div tag and made it overflow:hidden; this makes its behavior a little nicer. I found a bunch of good examples of different div tag effects on images that helped out a lot